Refers to email scams from fraudsters to obtain your banking and personal information and here is how it works:
- You will receive an email appearing to be from NBK or another legitimate company in or out of Kuwait
- The email may claim a number of different things such as:
- There is a problem with your account
- Ask you to enter a contest to win a prize
- Ask you to subscribe to a service that will provide you with prizes and etc
- You are then asked to provide your personal and financial information by completing an online form.
- The form requests a variety of information such as:
- Your credit card numbers
- Your account number
- Your passport or Civil ID numbers and so forth
- Once you provide this information the fraudsters will have the necessary information on you to conduct a fraud.
Here is an example of a fraudulent email:
Identity fraud is where a dishonest person will gather your personal details in order to conduct a fraud which will financially hurt you. These fraudsters can obtain your personal information in a number of ways, via telephone scams or on the internet.
The following can be used to assume your identity:
- Your date of birth
- Your address
- Your Civil ID number or other identification numbers
- Your mobile phone number
- Your banking information
To protect your identity we recommend the following:
- Immediately report any loss or theft of your important documents such as your Civil ID, passport, drivers license, credit card etc.
- Keep your financial and personal documents in a safe and secure place. NBK safe deposit boxes are available for your use.
- Do not keep your ATM Pin number in your wallet.
- Never provide personal information on the phone or emails to anyone who calls or emails you.
Spyware And Adware
Spyware is a type of software that secretly collects your personal and user information while on the Internet.
Adware is a type of spyware used to track visitors' habits and interests on the Internet. Adware can monitor the types of sites you visit, the articles read or the types banners you click on and so forth. Many times this information is sold to a third party for the purpose of marketing.
You can minimize your chances of downloading spyware onto your computer by:
- Never click on banners no matter how enticing they may appear.
- Read the terms and conditions when you install free programs or sbuscribe to services from the Internet.
- Use up to date anti spyware programs on a regular basis to scan you computer.
Debit/Credit Card Fraud
Credit card and debit card fraud is a crime where your credit or debit cards are reproduced by criminals. This type of crime is known as 'skimming'.
Credit or debit card fraud can also occur when your card is lost or stolen and used by fraudster to purchase goods or remove cash from ATMs or other locations.
Here are some guidelines to protect your debit and credit card information:
- Always sign your credit card in ink as soon as you receive it.
- Memorize your ATM and/or credit card Pin numbers and never write them down.
- Do not let your credit card out of you sight.Even when paying with it at a store or restaurant go with the card.
- Tear up all credit card and debit card receipts into small pieces before throwing them away.
- If you use your credit card online make sure you are on a secure site:
- Always look for the lock pad symbol at the bottom right of your browser's window
- Never give your ATM card or credit card numbers to strangers or telemarketers who call you on the phone or send you an email.
Contact NBK immediately on 1801801 if you feel there is something fraudulent or strange about your credit card activity or on your account statement.